Welcome students, parents and staff of LCCTC!
I invite you to view the entire nurse's web page to get information about health & wellness. My goal is to promote the health and safety of our students so they are ready to learn.
I am a graduate of St. Francis School of Nursing, Carlow University, where I received my BSN and School Nurse Certificate, and Cambridge College where I earned my Master of Education degree. I started my nursing career at St. Francis Hospital on an adult Med/Surg Unit but my heart belonged to children. A year later I was hired on the Adolescent Medical Unit at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. I specialized in the nursing care of adolescents with chronic conditions such as diabetes, seizures, asthma, cancer, sickle cell, cystic fibrosis and many other diseases. After 18 years at Children's, I decided to make the transition to school nursing. I completed two long term school nurse substitute positions followed by day to day substituting in five area school districts.
I really enjoy school nursing and look forward to meeting all of the students! Please feel free to contact me anytime to discuss your adolescent's health.
Best Wishes for a Healthy & Successful School Year!
Maryann Cwynar, M.Ed., BSN, RN, CSN
"You can't educate a child who isn't healthy, and you can't keep a child healthy who isn't educated."
--- M. Joycelyn Elders
School Health Services provides care that promotes students' academic success by:
- Managing acute and chronic health care conditions.
- Providing interventions that return students to class.
- Intervening to lessen the number of students sent home.
- Identifying health related barriers and referring for appropriate care.
- Providing health screenings such as hearing, vision, height and weight.
- Promoting a safe and healthy school environment.
- Encouraging independence in managing own health care.
- Promoting student and staff wellness.